The unluckiest pitcher in the majors is the Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija. Samardzija has started 10 games this season has eight quality starts and owns an astonishing record of 0-4 and an even more astonishing ERA of 1.46 with 6 no decisions to illustrate how bizarre this is take a look at these 9 pitchers who all have 10 starts and at least 8 quality starts.
1. Adam Wainwright (STL)- holds a 7-2 record with a 1.85 ERA and 1 no decision.
2. Johnny Cueto (CIN)- holds a 4-3 record with a 1.86 ERA and 3 no decisions.
3. Julio Tehran (ATL)- holds a 3-3 record with a 1.92 ERA and 4 no decisions.
4. Max Scherzer (DET)- holds a 6-1 record with a 2.59 ERA and 3 no decisions.
5. Kyle Lhose (MIL)- holds a 6-1 record with a 2.67 ERA and 3 no decisions.
6. James Shields (KC)- holds a 6-3 record with a 2.67 ERA and 1 no decision.
7. Felix Hernandez (SEA)- holds a 5-1 record with a 2.94 ERA and 4 no decisions.
8. Cliff Lee (PHI)- holds a 4-4 record with a 3.18 ERA and 2 no decisions.
9. Jose Quintana (CWS)- holds a 2-4 record with a 3.67 ERA with 4 no decisions.
Notice even Quintana who has the least amount of wins among this group only has no more than four no decisions. As a matter of fact not one of these pitchers has more than four no decisions, Smardzijia has six. The only starting pitcher that I have found that has a similar record in the same amount of starts is the Pittsburgh Pirates, Fransisco Liriano. Liriano has three quality starts and a 4.86 ERA. Liriano’s 0-4 record is not surprising to anyone because with a 4.86 ERA this is an entirely plausible scenario. On the other hand a pitcher with the best ERA in the majors with an 0-4 record is entirely bizarre. Take last night for example against the New York Yankees he turned a 2-0 lead over to the bullpen in the top of the eighth, the Cubs lost in 13 innings 4-2. Samardzija hasn’t won since August 24th of last year. In that period he has had 16 starts for an 0-6 record and 10 no decisions. The Cubs are 2-14 with him on the mound since then. If that isn’t bad luck I don’t know what is. Only the Cubs fella, only the Cubs.